Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 13
Lordsburg to Silver City


I started today with a beautiful sunrise over the KOA Kampground. It was a very windy night and I woke to a layer of fine dust all over everything in my tent, I ended up showering again just to hit the road. Temperatures last night were in the high 30's.

I packed up and hit the road towards Silver City. I was looking forward to today's ride, because today I cross the Continental Divide (6355 ft.) It was a nice ride somewhat hill but still quite picturesque. I passed a rather large copper mine, which is really cool because of the height of the piles of dirt rising high above the actual mine, all you see are well manicured piles of dirt surrounding and hiding the actual operations.

The ride over the Continental Divide was a little less exciting then I was hoping for but it was a milestone I was looking forward to.

Before entering Silver City I passed into Grant County, and the welcome sign read "Grant County, Beef Country", and from there I can see why they say this, there was a rather large population of cows, made me wonder what the cow to person ratio was...

I arrived in Silver City just before sunset and was happy to see another beautiful sunset to end the days ride.

The Garmin data for the ride is as follows:
Day 13 Lordsburg to Silver City by wegotguts at Garmin Connect - Details

1 comment:

  1. I once walked from Silver City to Lordsburg so I know your trek - some fun hills! I hope you enjoy your stay here in our little town. Ride on!

    -- Linda@silvercity-realestate.com

    ReplyDelete