Wednesday, April 14, 2010





Day 25
Ranger to Weatherford

Before we left Ranger this morning the Kimbroughs' were determined to make sure we were fed well(again!) We had a wonderful breakfast of eggs, sausage, and toast with home made Peach jam. I was stuffed and did not know how I would sit on the bike and ride eating so much, but I climbed on the bike, thanked our hosts and wished them a good day.

Heading East again along the I-20 access roads, there was a bit of a head wind, the road ways and medians were all starting to get big bunches of flowers blooming, the colors were starting to get more vivid. It was much hillier than I expected but ultimately it was downhill. I went below 1000 ft. of elevation for the first time in weeks!

Had to ride on the highway several times, as the access roads just stop at certain points. It was one of these quick jaunts on the highway that produced my 3rd flat - a rear flat this time. I changed this in quick time and was again on the road.

A friend of my dads' happened upon us at the exit back to the access road, so we stopped and talked. As we were talking I realized my tire had a slow leak,(this was a tire I patched last week), we were near the end of the day so I just pumped up the tire and went on to Weatherford.

Arriving in Weatherford we pulled off the road to the tuckstop and loaded the bike for the ride to DFW metroplex area. We started down the road, and received a call from my dads friend (Ed Hernandes), it seemms he went to his local bikeshop and was picking up his own bike when he mentioned me and the ride and my situation with tires and tubes. He said to meet him at the bikeshop in Hurst,(Bicycles, Inc.)and they could help me out.

Help me they did with tubes, lube, patch kits, and a water bottle -- you guys are awesome. Rick shared with me that he had lost a daughter to Leukemia, and was appreciative of what I was doing.

After leaving the bike shop we made our way to Irving, our destination for the next couple of evenings. This was only the beginning of my eveneing though - It seems my wife (Tammy) had found a way to keep our original plans in place and flew in without my knowledge, and surprised me at my inlaws home. This is to be the only vacation time I will have with my family since I will have a lot of paybacks to take care of this summer.

A real big thank you yo my wife for her help and support throughout my journey, the countless hours of talking, supporting, routing and reservations.

The Garmin information for the day is as follows:

Day 23 Ranger to Weatherford by wegotguts at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment